22 March 2010

Back in DC and missing NOLA

Hello! I realize it has been a while since my last post. Craziness, insanity, and happiness has gotten in the way of my blogging. Here is what has happened since my last post.

In knitting news, the Owls sweater is still sitting around. It's finished, but I still haven't blocked it or sewn the eyes on. I still need to figure out how to block the shoulders so the back isn't so puffy. Everything else fits perfectly, and I really, REALLY don't want to frog the whole yoke/upper back.

I also went to the Homespun Yarn Party yesterday, which was pretty amazing. I made it out with only 3 skeins of yarn and 5 bars of soap. I LOVE the tequila soap I bought. Its lime and salt "flavored". It smells delicious. I even bought a bar to support DBF's soap addiction. It's called "Bark" and has a nice ceder smell.

On the school front, I finished a SLEW of papers by the 11th. It was a marathon. I don't think I properly slept for a week. Then after that I had to spend the 12th in the Archives until I had to catch my train for the last/most awesomely exciting adventure of my blog hiatus.

I went to New Orleans with DBF!! It was amazing! We had a WONDERFUL time. I am going to keep an eye out for any museum jobs in the area. I LOVED the whole area (with exception to Bourbon Street, which was insane, surreal, and filthy) and especially loved the Garden District, which was where we were staying.

We had awesome food, went to awesome areas, and saw awesome things while we were there. My highlights were walking Magazine Street, Jackson Square, the area around the French Market, the small garden center we went to near the French Market (DBF probably remembers the name), the WWII Museum, and the Audubon Zoo. There is so much more that I absolutely loved. Too much to list here. It was amazing.

After the Archives I went to the train station. The train pulled out at 4:00 pm. I arrived at midnight and DBF and I got dinner and killed some time before we went to sit at the airport until our plane left at 7:00am. We got into New Orleans around 11:00am and his sister picked us up. We got there in time to put our stuff down and head out to the St. Patrick's Day parade on Magazine Street. After an hour of walking through the crowds we decided to go back to the house and relax before the actual parade started. He slept for an hour before I passed out. I didn't wake up until 7:00pm. We missed the parade, but I felt much, much better from that point.

The rest of the trip went so fast, but it was so much fun. It was nice to spend so much time with DBF. We usually only see each other once a month. A full week of constant interaction was refreshing. We walked a lot, saw so many sights, ate wonderful food, and worked on his sisters yard. It reminded me how much I love gardening.

We met up with some old friends from college that live in the area. It was nice to reconnect. I was roommates with one of them for years and it has been ages since we've seen each other. I knew these friends have been dating, but just found out they were engaged. It's crazy. I remember when we were in college and we would talk about how it was so weird to think of being in that kind of relationship and how we were so against kids, and how we couldn't believe people we knew that were getting engaged, married, or starting families. Now we're those people. Shes engaged, we both are no longer revolted- and kind of look forward to having kids, and I find myself more and more alright with the idea of having someone in my life that I can depend on in that role.

We came back on Saturday. I would have loved another 2 weeks there. We did a lot in the week we were there, but it was so nice, I'd have loved more time. Its a little weird to be by myself again and have DBF 300 miles away. Going into the trip I was a little bit afraid that it would be hard because of the usual distance between us. Like I would have a hard time being around him 24/7, but I really think the whole trip helped me a lot. I am a bit lonely now, but I feel even closer to DBF than before. I realize its a little weird, I never thought I would be that person who really wants to be with someone that much, but I am. I don't know what to do about it. Deep down I think I really want to be that person. I want a life with DBF, our dogs, a garden, some chickens, a good job, and the ability to start a family.

That derailed a little bit. The moral of the story is I had a WONDERFUL time in New Orleans, and cannot wait to go back. I miss the sunshine and company, but I'm happy, and I am going to try to get back into the swing of things today. I cannot wait for grad school to end, and I hope I can find a job in the New Orleans area (or really just somewhere nice) that I will love. The trip laid the ground work for a lot of day dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment